It is one of the most important High Renaissance palaces in Rome. It was designed by Antonio Sangallo the Younger who began the construction in 1514; then it was continued by Michelangelo, and finally completed by Giacomo della Porta.
The Palace during the Renaissance was private property of the Farnese family, one of the most influential Roman families of the time. Nowadays it belongs to the Italian State and since 1874 houses the French Embassy.
In the Palazzo Farnese many different events are yearly organized, especially in the Piano Nobile where stands the Salone d’Ercole (Hercules Hall), with tapestries inspired by Raphael’s frescoes. One of the main attractions is the renowned Carracci Gallery, recently restored and reopened to the public. It is definitely the major masterpiece by the Carracci Brothers (born in Bologna), built between the end of XVI century and the beginning of XVII century for the Cardinal Odoardo Farnese.